Certified Software Tester (CSTE)
Certified Software Tester (CSTE)
- More technical of the two intended to establish standards for initial qualification and provide direction for the testing function. The course follows the same outline but has more technical detail and additional chapters. Topics like automation and test tools are covered.
Applicant Prerequisites: (CSTE)
To qualify for candidacy, each applicant must meet ONE
of four prerequisites listed below:
- A 4 year degree from accredited college-level institution & 2 years experience in the information services field
- A 3 year degree from accredited college-level institution & 3 years experience in the information services field
- A 2 year degree from accredited college-level institution & 4 years experience in the information services field
- Six years experience in the information services field
Are working, or have worked at any time within the prior 18 months, in the field within covered by the certification designation.
An applicant for certification must adhere to the Code of Ethics
that outlines the ethical behaviors expected of all certified professionals by the ISCB
Depending upon a compliance sample selected according to program criteria, the applicant may be required to provide upon request detailed education, employment, and reference documentation supporting the information entered in the Customer Portal during the application process. If selected the applicant must supply the required documentation and those who fail to provide the requested documentation may be subject to decertification.
Initial Application & Fee: (CSTE)
For those who qualify for the CSTE
certification and are prepared to establish candidacy must complete an online Certification Candidacy Application in the Customer Portal and pay the application fee.
application fee is:
- $350 or $420 ~ All fees to be paid in US Dollars (see Payment Policy).
The application fee includes the following:
- Instant access to a PDF file of the Software Testing CBOK (561 pages) which is a useful tool to help prepare for the exam. After payment go to the CBOK Manuals page of Customer Portal for access. The $420 fee also includes a CD / book of the CBOK materials (same content as found on the PDF).
- The candidates Initial Exam which must be taken within one year from the date payment was processed or the application will expire (see Application Length).
To apply for the CSTE certification candidates must first login to their Customer Portal account. If new to the Portal then they will need to create one by clicking on the Register Now link, and then the Register as a New User tab.
Make sure the first / last names entered when creating an account matches what is on your government issued photo ID (i.e. drivers license, passport). DO NOT abbreviate or use a nickname. If they do not match when presenting your ID at check-in you will NOT be granted entrance to the examination.
Examination Details / Format: (CSTE)
Candidates are tested on their knowledge and practice of the skill areas defined in the Software Testing CBOK. The exam itself consists of two parts:
There is a total of 112 questions and the exam will take over 2 1/2 hours to complete which includes an optional 10 minute break after part one. The passing mark is 70% which is the average score of both parts.
- Parts 1 - Multiple choice (100 questions each - objective / 75 minute time limit)
- Parts 2 - Short answer / essay (12 questions each - subjective / 75 minute time limit)
All exams at Pearson VUE Testing Centers are computer-based.
Back to Education Section